Re: Paring down the sole and frog

I think that these replies are a thread from one of my posts but due to
computer problems this past week, I have lost all of my previous files
and folders of ridecamp messages.... so to clarify... yes, my husband/
farrier will pare down (perhaps not the right terminology?) the outer
edges of the sole.... this allows him to see if there is any bruising
and in some cases, has allowed him to locate nasty abscesses.  He does
not just pare away to make it look good... however, if feet are gunky or
the sole is damaged or whatever, he needs to get that out of there ...
we have seen a lot of thrush down in those cracks and crevices.  If a
horse tends to be ouchy, that is a different thing altogether.  Every
horse is different, every situation is different and should be
approached that way.  Some horses keep soles and frog worn down neat and
clean and some, well, just don't, for whatever reason.  Again, I would
advise EVERYONE with questions and concerns to TALK to your farrier
about them!!
Maggie