RE: People shoes and velcro thingy

For good people shoes, try trail running shoes.  They're designed for cross
country trail running, like ultramarathons, have a great base of support,
good ankle support and lots of cushion.  Also, they have lots of room if you
have a wide foot.  Mine are Adidas TrailResponse.  Most outfitting stores
and running catalogues carry them. There's a bigger selection for men than
women, but the manufacturers are learning...

Something similar to Karen's velcro tie for holding her tailing rope is to
buy the keychains that go around your wrist to hold your reins.  They're
coiled plastic like a telephone cord and have a ring and a clip.  I snap the
clip onto a front dee, slip the cord around the reins (assuming you're not
using split reins), then snap the ring onto the clip.  My reins are held in
place, so if I stop to sponge or scoop water or need both hands to get those
M&Ms out of my pack (oh, I meant low fat protein bar, what am I thinking?!),
I can drop the reins and don't have to worry about them slipping over the
horse's head.  The plastic cord has enough give that the horse can put her
head down and drink without being pulled on.  She drinks, I sponge (or eat)
and we're on our way.  The ring and snap are pretty weak, so if your horse
gets caught in the reins, the ring will break away.  You could use it to
hold a tailing rope, too.

Barb