Re: Cal Poly Arabian Mares (From:Student)

> 	I am a senior at Cal-Poly and also on the horse show team.  As far as I know,
> Cal-Poly did except some horses from a donor and they are currently in a
> paddock, getting feed, some exercise, and are generally well cared for.

It is entirely pssible that the horses that ended up at the killer were
rejected by Cal Poly and were sold to the killer by the executors of the
estate.  Who may have been legally required to get as much for them for
the estate as possible.

If this is the case...it might behoove people to (when making a well
donating their horses to someone) make sure that the people on the
receiving end of this "largess" do actually want the animals and are
actually willing to take care of them.

My horses in my will are bequeathed to people with whom I have checked to
make sure that they can accept the liability (which is what most horses
are) and are willing to accept the liability.

Two of my horses are bequeathed too somebody who does not have the
financial resources to take care of them (although I know she would try to
find them); as a result, I have also made her the beneficiary of my life
insurance policy.  If I am going to ask people to do me the favor of
taking care of my horses after I die, I am going to make sure they have
the resources to do it.

There is not a horse that I own that does not have a "godparent" (if you
will).  Donating them to some organization (or even individual) that may
or may not be able to care for them is just downright uncool.

kat
Orange County, Calif.