Bogs

I have received several responses to my questions about riding through
bogs. Most riders agree you do not YAHOO! your horse through a bog,
you walk.

There seems to be a difference of opinion as to dismounting or not.
Dismounting helps reduce the weight the horse has to carry thus helping
to prevent injury to his legs. After finding my horse bogged down I
dismounted for lack of something else to do. However, once off of the
horse I could not control him and he did not want to walk.

I know every bog is different, but once I find myself in deep I plan
to slow to a walk as quickly as possible. If a short walk does not
produce firmer ground then I will dismount and try to lead the horse
out.

Scott