Re:Narcolepsy (fwd)

On Tue, 02 Feb 1999 19:49:39 -0800 (PST)
ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net wrote:

> There's a physostigmine challenge test for narcolepsy in horses--you
inject
> it, and the positive horse will fall asleep.
> It is possible to treat with imipramine (a tricyclic antidepressant), but I
> don't personally know of any case in which that has been tried.

>              --CMNewell, DVM

I've mostly seen it in Shetland ponies - you scratch their withers and they
pass out. Neat parlour trick.

BTW - an interesting side effect of imiprimine is that it causes spontaneous
ejaculation. I've only tried it once - in a gelding - that was impressive enough!
Cheers,
Trisha

Trisha Dowling, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVIM & ACVCP
Associate Professor, Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology
Western College of Veterinary Medicine
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5B4
306-966-7359/FAX 306-966-7376