mystery beet pulp

Hi Abby,
I think the difference you are seeing in your horse's attitude may be
due not feeding the commercial sweet feed.  I have an arab mare that
is difficult to keep weight on in the winter.  When I first purchased
her, nearly six years ago, she had been on a high grain ration, which
included sweet feed.  Although turned out daily, she would stall walk
when inside, and was always on edge.....I likened it to how I used
feel when I drank too much coffee.  The first fall when cold weather hit, she
started to drop weight rapidly.  The facility where I boarded her at
that time refused to increase her hay (but did suggest I increase her
grain....grain was not included in the board fee).  I knew that would
not help so I called my vet, who suggested beet pulp & oil.  Her winter
weight has always been good since I started using the beet pulp.
Along the way, I discontinued the sweet feed (she now gets 2 cups oats
& 2 cups corn during the winter when she isn't being ridden)  and her
attitude improved remarkably...very little stall walking (storms,
ect.)  I have since read, in Equus, I think, and here on RideCamp,
that some horses react to the molasses in the sweet feed.  Glad your
horses are doing well.

Judy &
Hilary....who is fussy and refuses most treats other than apples &
carrots, but who is the only horse in the barn who will eat a real
beet!