RE: Bog Monsters

A few things to look out for with bogs.

Hello fellow Ridecampers,

In addition to being an endurance rider, I'm also a foxhunter and a
subscriber to the list "Foxhunters On Line" or FOL.  As we speak,
there is a thread on FOL about bogs.  Below is one of the posts.
Ranch is a hoot and would make a fun endurance rider.  Hope you enjoy
his input.

Susan Young
Muskogee, OK

1. If you have been riding all day and the conditions have been dry
and you notice a squishing sound (and you're not in a river)...put
your flask back in your pocket, pay attention  and ride giving a
little more rein to your horse just in case.

2. If it has been raining for 40 days and nights...you're on your
own...good luck...now pull out the flask.

3. There are some bogs that just can't be identified till you step in
them...sorry...good luck...pull out flask again.

4. Chicken Bog is the scariest of all. Warning:This kind of bog will
sneak up on you. You'll find yourself standing around a gas cooker
with a large pot full of rice, chicken, sausage & onions with a
cocktail in hand, tellin' war stories and such. I've been known to
successfully crawl away from a chicken bog before it devoured
me...others have not been so lucky.

Ranch (I call bogs..."Club Mud")