Bog Monsters

The Sandblast ride in Athens, TX provided a new riding experience for me:
Losing your horse and riding partners to the Bog Monsters. My first encounter
was
very sudden, no warning (apparently they do not make noises). Renegade, a 4
year
old I am riding, disappeared from under me. My riding partners are suddenly
fighting
to stay on their horses. The scene went from a tranquil mile eating trot to
frantic
scrambling by all of us.

I found myself able to stand on the ground while still in the stirrups.
Renegade was
up to his belly in a bog. Poor guy was frantic, “Let me out of here. Something
is
trying to suck my legs into the ground.” I stepped off of him to allow him to
struggle
to firmer ground. I can still see Diane’s horse fighting for higher ground by
leaping
with all her might from one bog sucking step to another bog sucking step. I
was not
able to see Kris behind me, but I could hear her frantic voice. I am thinking,
“This is
bad.”

We all survived, but from there the ride took on a different mental tone.
Suspicious
spots in the trail were looked at closely by all horses. We held our breaths
as we stepped into each bad spot. Some spots were deep, some were OK. In the
end Diane’s horse did not get a completion due to a wound received in one of
the bogs.

How do you old time bog riders fight these bog monsters?

Scott