Re: Trailer Stories

marilyn wiese wrote:

> I am learning to think of all (likely and unlikely) scenarios  Then I make a
> decision on what to do based on what I feel is best for the situation
> despite the fact that someone always has a gory story about why that way
> would be a bad idea  :)
>  I use trailer ties with quick release snaps and so far this has been working

A word to the wise - make sure these will "release"!!! A friends horse
pulled like a banshee recently - almost went down in the trailer, and
the snap didn't release soon enough. Some are stiff!!

My horror story involves those huge black bungie cord cross ties. I used
them in my slat load for a little while.

I had a 2 horse slant, and I don't tie until they are both in and the
doors closed, and I methodically drop the feed doors and unhook both
horses before opening the trailer...

One time my son unhooked the back horse, but not the front horse, my
1200 pound appy mare.

I unloaded the back horse, swung the divider open, asked Cam to back
out. She backed, hit the bungie, pulled, was SNAPPED back into the
trailer <sproing!!> and then **REALLY ** backed out with a vengeance,
breaking the bull snap on the bungie at the halter... the bungie, pulled
to twice it's length retracted with enough velocity to put a serious
dent in the trailer...

As it passed me, that bull snap grazed my temple, leaving a 1 inch
scratch trickling blood ...

Some days we get damned lucky.

I'll never use bungie ties again...  ;*)

Linda - Gilroy