Re: Question for ride mangers

>Speaking of pre-entries, I have a question for those RM whose entry
>includes Friday dinner.  If the riders are not getting there in time for
>dinner and they notify you of this on the entry, , do you take the dinner
>price off the entry fee??
>
>Regards to no-shows:  the problem with "total" no-shows is that when you
>really can't come (here it is mainly because of the weather and not
>physically being able to go) you can't possibly get ahold of the ride
>manager because they are already at the ride!  There have been several
>times when we  are completely packed, sometimes even as far as the horses'
>legs wrapped, and have not been able to go.  Once it was the weather, once
>I physically couldn't get off the couch, once the master cyliner brakes
>went out...all around 5pm Friday before the ride.  I have never heard of a
>ride that there was NO refund!  For a family of four, I could not possibly
>gamble $200+ that way!
>Louise Burton

I would define a total no show as someone who doesn't even have the
courtesy to leave a message on the answer machines or call the emergency
number as soon as they are in a position to get to a phone, or send word
via another rider.  After all, ride management worries about whether you
and your horse have just driven off a cliff or whatever and are in need of
emergency help out on the road.  Our CTR region typically only requires a
deposit with the entry, yet it's very rare for someone to just totally blow
off the ride and hence put any manager in the position of having to get
tough about not refunding a deposit (which is all that is ever at risk) --
hasn't happened on the ones I'm involved with that I'm aware of.   People
are reasonable and courteous, both riders and management.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky