Re: RC: Accident

In a message dated 12/05/1999 4:41:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Zaronica@aol.com writes:

<< I had a horse that was continually sticking his head through the top two
 rails on a gate, I figured he would quit when he got full grown, he didn't
so
 I put chicken wire over the space attaching it on top and bottom.  Now I see
 that may have prevented a serious accident.  I always thought he might get
 caught if he got in a hurry to get out. >>

We once had a horse that had the habit of sticking his head through what is
euphemistically called a "Lifetime gate" (lifetime of what, I'd like to
know), a lightweight galvanized steel gate, to reach grass. Once, while he
was in this act, he became startled by something and raised his head suddenly
and violently, taking the gate off its lag bolt hangers. So here was a horse
with an 8-foot gate hanging on his neck and he ran to the far end of his
(mercifully) small paddock and cringed in the corner. I heard the ruckus,
went out to help, assisted by a small scrappy Queensland Heeler and an
obsessed Border Collie.  While threatening the Heeler with certain death in a
firm but hushed voice, I persuaded the horse to stay quiet. He must have
realized that I was the only one who could get him out of this predicament. I
walked quietly up to him, took gate in one hand and his head in the other and
asked him to turn his head sideways so it would slip out through the slats of
the gate. This worked successfully, whereupon he ran as far away from the
gate as he could get in that paddock.  I promptly installed some mesh wire on
the gate where it has been ever since. Moral to the story: either install
mesh to prevent this, or hang the gate with lag bolts (shaped like an L when
installed on the gate post) in opposing directions, the lower one facing up,
the upper one facing down.  This episode, along with several others we've
experienced, has proved to me that most of our Arabs are more sensible about
trouble than some of the other breeds or grades that we have had in the past.
We've had Arabs stand stock still and refuse to move if they inadvertently
walked into hidden barbed wire. They waited patiently for us to rescue them.
However, we also had a QH/TB gelding who was equally sensible about such
matters. He once followed me through an escape door in a 2-horse trailer and
was hung up by his ribs. His front feet were on the ground, his hind still in
the trailer, and he was bound by his ribs in the frame of the escape door.
My husband eased him past the ribs so he could breathe better, but then he
was trapped by his hip bones.  There he stood, patiently, while we sent over
to our business shop, 5 miles away, for an acetylene torch. We blindfolded
him, shielded his side with a 1/4" sheet of plywood, and ran water from a
garden hose on him, while my husband cut the metal frame of the doorway
apart. When the horse realized he was free, he stepped quietly to the ground
and stood there, trembling but not panicking. He was the most amazing horse
I've ever seen.  What a mind!!

Barbara