presentation

I think that we are agreed that presentation at the halt should
remain as part of the training and preliminary test.  I agree, it is
where a lot of learning takes place.  It has been suggested that a
written guideline be given to the presentation judge in order to help
"standardize" the judging.  There are already guidelines on the
presentation score sheet, so this additional information would be
more specific to turn-out.  Imagine that you are given such
information a hour before becoming a presentation judge. (Imagine
any other sport, ie., jumpers, reining, figure skating, where an
unlicensed judge is allowed to give penalties!)  Even some
experienced dressage judges quake at the thought of judging
presentation!  Every competition knows that they will have to have
someone judging presentation, and as Dave pointed out, some of
these people are pressed into service (not fair to them or the
competitors!).  The ADS could set up a type of certification that
would require the person to go through a written test that would
help them understand the principles of presentation.  Going to a
clinic would be great, but expensive.  If we are going to keep
presentation, then it should be addressed at clinics.  If more
dressage judges were exposed to presentation, they would not be
so uncomfortable with it.
John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@vermontel.net
http://www.vermontel.com/~greenall