GPS info

My husband, who is kind of "into" gadgets is going to share a little about
what he has found from using a couple different GPS units, both from the
horse, horse and carriage, and in the car.

First, a GPS (Global Positioning System) works by receiving timing signals
from satellites.The GPS must have signals from at least three satellites to
triangulate, and the more satellites it receives info from the more accurate
the positional reading.

Generally, you get what you pay for. Pay more, you get more options and
performance.options include the ability to interface with your computer.
Also the ability to read through heavy foliage. With some units, you can go
for a ride, come home, download the information into mapping software and
print out a map with the trail drawn in on a map. You can also print out a
profile map. This is a great option for ride managers! Check out:
www.delorme.com
for topographical software.

On previous posts, it was mentioned that in heavy foliage you could get a
loss of signal. Some units Garmin GPS III plus (about $300) work very well
under these conditions.On any GPS's you need to understand where the antenna
is, and which position works best. our first GPS has an internal antenna. It
works best when held at a slight angle so the antenna (at the top of the
unit) is level. I figured how to attach to the front of the saddle that kept
it at this position. (thank goodness for shoe laces!)

All units have the ability to tell you the speed you are going. If it is
still tracking you, and you have not lost signal, they are more accurate
than the speedometer in your car. Of course we need to remember to read our
manuals to figure out how to use all these functions<grin>.

One of our "projects" we would love to do, is figure out how to interface
our GPS, with a heart rate monitor, and the computer. Wouldn't it be fun to
go for a ride, and have the computer tell you what the heart rate was when
you went up "Suicide Hill"? You could compare different horses over the same
trail, section by section and chart how each horse compared in the training
program. Its the heart rate monitor that is holding us up. Can't seem to
find one with the proper computer interface.

So, is this more than you wanted to know about GPS units? They really can be
useful with conditioning and trail riding. Here are some web sites to check
out for GPS info.
(disclaimer) We are not affiliated with these sites in any way.
www.garmin.com
http://www.magellangps.com/frames/frame2.htm
http://www.trimble.com/
http://www.ghgcorp.com/wagenx/gps.htm
http://www.aero.org/publications/GPSPRIMER/

Now you REALLY have too much info!<grin>

Jonni (and Bill the techno husband) in So. Calif.