Re: crooked tails

In a message dated 11/26/1999 11:42:43 AM Pacific Standard Time, step@fsr.com
writes:

<< Next time you ride, try taking just one foot out of the
 stirrup and continue riding. Chances are it will be much
 more difficult on one side of the other to keep from either
 falling off, or maintaining decent posture. If you are
 right handed, you probably use your left leg and stirrup
 more than your right. And vice versa. The first time I tried
 this I was amazed. I'm right handed and do ok if I take
 the right foot out of the stirrup. But with the left foot
 out it's a disaster and I have to work really really hard
 to stay with the horse. So, the lesson here is that I depend
 much more on my left leg/stirrup for balance. So no doubt
 this throws everything off all the way up to the head
 and neck. I've noticed for quite a while that my horses
 eventually prefer the left diagonal to the right - not
 in the beginning, but after a while it becomes more
 noticable. Duh. I'm much more aware now of trying to keep
 equal weight in both stirrups - and even exagerating
 the right to try and build up strength there. >>

Very interesting!  Question:  Is this to be done at a walk or trot?
Observations: I am very right-footed, that is if I were to hop on one foot,
it would be almost impossible to balance on the left one. (I am right-just
about everything - I sight a rifle right-eyed, I used to bat a baseball
right-handed, etc. I THINK I sweep with a broom left-handed, that is, the
broom is on my left with my left hand in the middle of the handle and my
right at the top, so I think that is left-handed). Almost all the horses I
ride prefer the right diagonal.  At one time I could post only on the right
diagonal. Then about 15 years ago I took some lessons just to learn how to
post on the left daigonal, how to change back and forth and how to know I was
on one or the other without looking. This is second nature to me now, and I
practice on trails, changing diagonals as I go around turns.

Barbara