Be vewy quiet, they're hunting horses!

Title: Be vewy quiet, they're hunting horses!

As Elmer Fudd might have said... "Be vewy quiet, they're hunting horses!"

Sad story here in WV for one of my neighbors.  Nice registered gray Arab mare was shot in her pasture the opening day of hunting season, presumably by a stray bullet.  She was hit, but not deeply, while standing in her pasture near a wooded area.  She made it back into her stall where she died from blood loss before her owner found her.  Authorities are searching for more information about the accident, but they feel that the hunter didn't even know he hit the horse.

We were already paranoid about our horses since we live in a rural area that is a <real> favorite for hunters!  All of our horses have been moved up to a front 3 acre pasture.  It has our house & the neighbor's house & barn on each side, a road & house across from it, and a 1/4 mile back to our property line (posted - No Hunting).  All the dogs (rottweilers) are in our fenced back yard.

I'm beginning to feel like they should all have on orange vests & caps!!!

I can't wait to get back to riding when the hunters have had their season.  I definitely don't feel safe in the woods right now, despite blaze orange and bells.

Linda Flemmer