Fence builder`s tip to me.......

I was told some time ago, haven`t tried it as I have Powder River for fences at my new place, that motor oil painted on wooden fence will keep the horses off of them.
They are supposed to HATE THE TASTE AND SMELL!!!!!! Please let us know if it works.....All you enviromentalists be assured we would try not to spill any!!!!!!!
                  Sherrie McClain, Redmond, Oregon    P.S.Can someone give me some input into Bask lines?? I have an RD Fivestar/Bask granddaughter mare....8 years old...with attitude.