Re: RC: Those new-fangled halters w/no hardware

Heidi, I agree with your point and the accident you describe sounds
dreadful.   My friend "thought" her washrack -- with peeler posts buried
deep -- was secure.   With such a strong halter/rope, surely a safety
release knot was the thing to use, but she didn't.   She was lucky that
the flailing timbers and pipe inflicted only external wounds that healed
and the horse didn't break a leg or two.    I'd say that only a the main
trunk of a stout and mature tree is "immovable and solid" enough!
     I don't think we have many arranged opportunities today to see how
explosively powerful a horse can be when 'turned on' and many of those
times are involved with wrecks.  Two hundred years ago in New England,
Justin Morgan and descendants were used to jerk entire tree stumps out of
the ground upon command, roots, rocks, and all, and to drag entire logs
to wherever.   When I run my hands over the powerful muscles of Billy's
hindquarters, it's a humbling thought that my beloved old horse puts this
power at my disposal.    Just some musings on a rainy day.   Regards,
Connie B  (CA)

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 02:30:14 EST CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 11/18/99 10:50:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>cberto@juno.com writes:
>
><<  This is what happened to a friend of mine:   she used her
> cord-and-knot, no-hardware halter/w long leadline to tie her Arab to
>a > washrack.   Something spooked him   <snip>
 he took out the posts and demolished  the
> whole rack before the ruckus ceased.   <snip>
 remember that, because of their strength, you