Fwd: RC: Antibiotics & Strangles

---- Begin included message ----
In a message dated 11/17/99 10:29:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Dbeverly4@aol.com writes:

<< Yup, that's exactly what my vet told me and why we didn't use antibiotics.

 Copy did end up getting bastard strangles and we still didn't use
 antibiotics.  He's alive and kickin (not literally kickin) at 23.  I'm
pretty
 sure you DON'T want to use antibiotics in the case of strangles.  Also,
never
 use antibiotics "if in doubt".  Just like what is happening with humans,
 animal bad guys can develop stronger more virulent strains in response to
 over-use of antibiotics (at least that's my understanding -- Heidi --
correct
 me here).

 Sylvia >>

    We had over 15 cases on & near our ranch this last summer.  Five of the
owners were told (somehow) to let it run its course.  Out of the five that
did that, 4 horse's died.  Ages of these horses were 5yr. old, 18 months, 14
yr. old and a 7 yr. old.  All of these horse's went into this healthy & in
good weight.  The horse that made it was a 9 yr. old.
    The other 9 horses were put on large amounts of SMZ's at the first sign
of strangles, 3 horse's ages 3 yr. old, 26 yr. old, 12 yr. old., got what you
call bastard strangles.  All of the 9 horses that were treated returned to
normal in about 2 weeks.  Just some numbers of "to treat or not to treat."
Tammy
---- End included message ----