From: Karen Sullivan <greymare@jps.net>
To: 'Paula C Gentry' <pgentry@U.Arizona.EDU>; ridecamp@endurance.net
<ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 6:02 PM
Subject: RC: RE: conditioning mares with foals

month-old filly, running loose on the trail. She said she should be able to
walk an hour, so I reduced the initial trail rides to 1/2 that at first,
since there were some hills.  My vet seemed to think that most folks
under-exercise babies; that they can take, and need plenty of running and
exercise.

>My baby had run with other foals in a pasture, but at first, at my place;
was in a large paddock.  She either had pasture turnout every day, or
>a short trail ride. I varied it from short rides with hills and rougher
terrain and puddles, to road walking, where she would occasionally trot or
canter to catch up.

>Don't know about an 8 week one, though.....would watch her carefully and if
she seems depressed or tired then you know you are doing too much.  I am as
much concerned with feeding, and not to overfeed-don't want to stuff her
gullet with high-protein and high carb feed and contribute to epiphysitis
(sp.).  She is on a variety of hay (alfalfa, oat and grass), some grazing,
and 1/2 the bag-reccomended amount of foal pellets.

>No problems to far.....It's a GREAT way to get your foal trail-smart,
surefooted and balanced before you get on it's back!

>Mine is getting hauled out 2 to 3 times a week, already she ties and hauls
confidently and this is also invaluable!

>Since so many foals seem to just sit around the first 3 years of their
life, you are on the right track, just sounds a tad hard to me, if the going
is rough.