Re: Comfort saddle search

Debra Bohnsack drbohnsack@neta.com
Since I am Sharons Rep here in Arizona I thought I'd jump in on this one! The person suggesting that we perform two services is  correct to a point. We do in fact determine what tree size would be the best fit for our customers horse. The fact that Sharons trees do NOT correspond to any other saddlemakers means that the size we determine must be used for the purchase a new or used saddle made by Sharon Saare. A problem can arrise when a customer specifically tells us they want a fitting in order to purchase a new saddle when what they really want is a fitting for a used one. As a Rep myself, I greatly appreciate it when someone is honest and lets me know what they have in mind. As Sharon mentioned in her post from Nov. 8th, we understand that not everyone can afford a new custom saddle regardless of whether we feel $1200-1500 to be very reasonable.  We do perform fittings for used saddles for a fee if the customer brings their horse to Sharon or their Rep. Our job of matching the right saddle, horse and rider together is much harder when it comes to anything used. For the match to be really good, it must have the correct tree size, seat size, seat style, cantle height,  fender length, skirt style, horn or no horn, rigging type, hardware type and stirrup style PLUS all the decorative options.Every spec. that does not match means a compromise by the buyer.
When a customer uses their determined tree size to buy a used Saare saddle from various sources it is much more of a gamble for them. However, since Sharons name is on the saddle and you're riding in it, the feedback you give to others about the saddle and its fit reflects on us even if we never fitted your horse or saw the saddle you bought!
Remember, Sharon Saare has been making saddles for over 27 years.  There are some old  saddles out there that no longer correspond to the modern ones in tree or seat style, have had the saddle  modified by the owners,  the trees cracked by roudy rolling horses,  been repaired badly and more. It is more accurate to compare an old saddle to an old pair of custom boots than a piece of art work. Even with the best of care and maintainence, if used long and hard they eventually wear out.
When we fit a new saddle for the cust, every detail is to their specs. Both the Rep. and buyer know exactly what their getting.Over the past three years I have sold several used saddles to some really nice people. Most of them now wish they would have ordered new ones. After a couple months of riding, the money they saved is overshadowed by the fact that its not EXACTLY what they REALLY wanted. Too many compromises.
One of the most frustrating situations is the person who wants us to tell them what to buy over the phone.These are usually well meaning people who simply don't understand how it all works. I DO understand their point of view. After all, if they tell me they have an Arab, and their neighbors Arab wears a "b" tree, why can't I fit him just knowing his breed? (All the other retailers do.) There are always a few people who even buy a used Saare saddle in a certain size, based ONLY on what their friends horse was fitted with! Not surprisingly these blind guesses are no different than buying a saddle off the rack. The great saddle fit we pride ourselves in will not be present unless the horse is properly fitted. Once a person has their horse properly fitted, they never make that mistake again! Getting a group of horses and riders together  and seeing 6 Arabs take 6 different tree sizes tells the whole story! Horses and people are individuals.We try our best to fit the horses and accommodate their owners.
So............... to provide you and your horse with the best service, let Sharon or your Rep know what you REALLY want, get your horse PROPERLY fitted, and both you and your horse will enjoy a really great ride!............Debra B
PS Sorry it was so long, I don't write often!

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-