Re: Manners/LD riders Hahira

> Jean Wonser wrote:> I had an experience Sat. I would like to share  from
Hahira GA, as
> it may shed some light on why some of us get concerned
> over manners of other riders.
>

> The winner of the LD 25 was at the  Finish PR in 1:52 so it is
> clear they were not interested in the welfare of the rearguard of
> the Fifty mile competition-most of whom are in the rear for
> very definate reasons, often on young horses/unexperienced.
>
> It goes without saying that a 1:52 twenty five miles is not much
> short of a demolition derby.  So does that answer some of the
> question about why some Endurance riders do not respect
> some LD riders?  Please notice the qualifying 'SOME'.
>
>   We had a great ride basically, the horse
> learned a lot.  The six hours was the minimum I
> had planned as  a six to seven hour window for a first fifty
> was  what I was aiming.  He looked solid Sunday and again today.
>
> Thanks for listening and ride safe--the first rule.
>
> Jean Wonser
> AERC 5352  FL
>
>Jean,
How scary!  I could envision a lot worse.  Sounds to me like you have a
basically sensible horse.  Your experience, though, seems to me to amply
illustrate why Karen and Heidi and others have counseled against new riders
like me starting with a flat ride.  No criticism against you at all.  Your
plan should have worked and it gives me chills that it didn't, but I wonder
if FEI rides aren't changing the character of the rides--MAYBE to the
detriment.  After all, as I now understand it, you have to do 25's and even
hundreds at a canter or gallop in order to prepare for international rides,
then probably a 1:52 hr. 25 is going to be standard.  Looks to me like a
nightmare come true for ride managers.
Dyane
N. Ca