Re: "Hating" the Halter

Hi!  Just a small problem I am having with a new horse and wondering if any of you could offer some suggestions.

I purchased a 3 yr old 3/4 arab 1/4 saddlebred gelding, 'bout 15.1H, about 3 months ago.  He is un-broke, however, I was told he was worked with heavily on the ground, ie: trimming feet, leads, brushing, wearing a blanket, and clips.  He came from a saddleseat/show/halter home so I don't believe he was exposed to much variety as he will be as a competitive/endurance prospect.

He came to me with a halter on.  I put him in the pasture with my 8 yr old grade arab and all went well.  He was somewhat nervous but eager to make friends......I noticed his halter had rubbed some raw spots under the jaw, so I removed it.  First mistake!  I could not catch him again!  He will come to me for treats and I can pet him all over, poll, ears, head, back......but try to put something over his head and he is off.  I keep him 24/7 like the other horse with a shelter only in inclement weather.  My sons have caught him for me....they run faster!!!  They will "corner" him somewhat in the pasture and quietly go up his side (near) and put on the halter.  He may keep the halter on for a day or so, but ends up rolling and rubbing it off!!!  The boys catch him again, put the halter on again, and again......he rubs it off!!!!  Today, it was over one ear, and I tried to pull it back over the ear but couldn't so I loosened the near side and he was OFF!  He was free again!  I prefer to wear no halter, as he is thin-skinned and rubs bare spots easily, however, I cannot do a thing with him when he is "free"????  Should I go back to square one????  Or, stall him without a halter and only put one on when he is in the pasture for the "free" time only?  He is not aggressive or negative.......just like a spoiled child!

Thanks for any suggestions..............

Kelly from SW PA

""