Fwd: RC: RE: Height in FEI Horses

We prefer to see a rider on a hors suitable to the rider's size, and not just
weight. It certainly equies additional fortitude on the part of the horse to
balance mroeweight sitting high atop his center of gravity or balance.
Frankly,  it is easier to carry more weight which is balanced and hopefully
with the ability to stay so, than less weight with a lack of balance. In any
case, while height is not the biggest issue, and we DON'T select tall horse
by design, neither should one need training wheels to keep their feet off the
ground. Certainly, as has been seen in the show jumping world, the bigger the
horse, the more potential for somethign to go wrong - legs, shoulders, back,
hip, etc. Those huge warmbloods simply have more heavy duty body parts to go
awry. Personally, I always preferred the smaller hunter/jumpers as well sinc
ethey just seemed to both be more careful and also stayed sound better. The
old saying fits them - the more you overwork the plumbing, the easier it is
to stop up the drain! s

---- Begin included message ----
Title: RE: Height in FEI Horses

Tammy,

Susan Evans Garlinghouse has done some scientific research relating weight of horse & rider to completion at Tevis.  She found that there was NO correlation between the rider/horse weight ratio.  There WAS a correlation of the <horse> weighing more & completion.  She found that the most important "weight factor" was the horse's body condition score.  I don't remember the exact number, but somewhere between 4.5 and 5.5 on the body condition score.  Evidently the horse needs the "groceries" to work that hard.  If my memory serves me right, she had some rider/horse ratios of >30% that did well and she discounted the rider/horse weight ratio as unimportant.  She hypothesized that the HW riders' horses had acclimated to the weight & competed well.

(My own thought - are the FW/LW/MW horses training to less than their potential since they aren't carrying the heavier rider?  Should us HW riders start a training business for the FW & LW riders?!?!?!)

It seems to "fly in the face of traditional wisdom", but isn't that what research is supposed to do?  Test what are commonly held beliefs to see if they are true?  Perhaps somebody with her web page can look to see if she has the paper posted there.

Linda Flemmer
Bruceton Mills, WV