Fwd: LD VS. ENDURANCE

In a message dated 11/10/99 9:24:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bkwranch@cmn.net writes:

<< ings change...I won't join....
 I ride competitive trail...we have some absolutely incredible rides here in
 Colorado...I know that a lot of "endurance" riders put down the idea of
 being judged on their horsemanship but I find it all very challenging and
 really fun. >>
I use to ride competitive trail also.  It taught me a lot.  I had been riding
horses for years and naturally thought I "knew it all" How wrong I was!!  I
personally, and I know I'm going to get slammed for this, think that ALL
riders who want to get into any type of "trail riding competition" be it,
endurance,   etc. should HAVE to have at least 1 year of "competitive trail",
before being allowed to do "endurance riding"  I'm sorry, but there are NONE
of us that know everything about taking care of a horse, trail manners,
sportsmanship, horsemanship, etc., when we start the sport!  How many of us
have done a stupid thing at the trailer, tied to low, rope hooked of trailer
door, you know what I mean.  How about trail manners, for rider and horse?
How many rides have you been on and someone bombed pass causing problems, or
not give the trail, or just being unsafe.  How many of us have seen riders
overriding their horses. Horses can learn too, especially if the rider has
knowledge and what better way for both rider and horse to learn then in a
competitive trail ride with people who want to help us?  Endurance riding is
not made for teaching.  Ride management expects you to know how to take care
of yourself and horse. Yes, I know, even with knowledge there will always be
idiots.  Are we so above admitting that we can still learn that we feel
threatened with NATRC?  I'm not.  I have a couple of babies I am bringing
along and I will start their careers with competitive trail before they even
know what endurance is.  It will be good for them and me.  Never to old to
teach an old dog new tricks.  They will then do LD and I will be proud to do
it.  And I will still call myself an endurance rider!
Have we forgotten that when we are with our horses, we are horse people?
Nothing more, nothing less, no matter the name of sport, how much money we
have, our name, our standings or mileage.  Yes, there are "horse people" that
excel and that's great, but we all started at the same place.  The bottom.
Lets get out and enjoy our horses and forget the name calling.  We are equal
because we are horse lovers!
Keri

---- Begin included message ----
Well said, Ken, I have been toying with the idea of joining AERC for the
past three years and every year I have changed my mind for this very
reason....seems like a "class" system exists between those who choose to
ride the longer distances and those who chose to ride the shorter
distances...I personally would probably be "back and forth"...would enjoy
doing a 50 or two and maybe a few shorter distances, but I hate the idea
that my shorter rides are "flushed down the toilet"....so guess I will
continue to sit back and wait to see if things change....because until
things change...I won't join....
I ride competitive trail...we have some absolutely incredible rides here in
Colorado...I know that a lot of "endurance" riders put down the idea of
being judged on their horsemanship but I find it all very challenging and
really fun....but one of the things I like best is that for "career"
mileage on your horse, ALL miles are counted...doesn't matter what division
are distance you rode and when, all the miles count...I love that!!!
Thanks for speaking up even though I don't think it will do any good....but
when AERC loses potential members like me they not only lose riders...they
also lose people who would want to be involved with the organization, know
what I mean?
Betty in Colorado

---- End included message ----