Re: RC: Horse sale survey

Rides 2 Far wrote:

> That was me.  I got quite a few names and $$ amounts here and there
> (usually for around $20,000).  What I've enjoyed discovering is how many
> people have turned down BIG $$$$ to keep their horse...not necessarily
> horses that they've got huge plans for, just really good horses that
> they're attached to.  Have talked to some everyday not so wealthy people
> whose horses aren't competing internationally, and aren't necessarily
> pushing for points *this year* who have turned down up to $30,000 just
> because they wanted to keep their horse, and refused to deal.

Hi Angie and all others,

I can answer to this as an european endurance rider with a little
contact to
the UAE. A friend of mine from Switzerland refused several times to sell
his
mare to Sheik Maktoum. When both met first, the Sheik said: Ok, I have
been
at the USA to buy a mare for $200.000 but your mare is worth more. My
friend
refused. The next time the Sheik offers about $300.000. I have to say
that
this mare is a daughter of Persik, a well known french stallion with lot
of
very good offsprings in endurance. As far as I know the last time my
friend
and Sheik Maktoum met, my friend was offered even more $$$ - and he
refused.
Actually the prices for average endurance horses in France are much
higher
than 3 years ago.

> Also thought it was amusing that in the description of the European
> championships, they mentioned that the winner was bought immediately
> after the race.

I guess that horse was sold before the race.

>  I now realize that practically anyone who has a horse competing at the
> International level has turned down an incredible amount of money to keep
> their horse.  Makes the cash awards sort of inconsequential, because any
> horse who is capable of running for them could be sold for much more.

That's an important point. Here in Germany we do not have any
cash-awards.
But if you have a very good horse and willing to sell it, you will find
someone who is paying more than you can ever get by awards.

> These aren't $3,500 horses any more.

No, certainly not.

Wolfgang + Ninja 11 (was an $3500-horse, now he is priceless - for me!)
Germany