Re: RC: Alternate Training

Jennifer,

A friend of mine who cleans up in CTR (ECTRA) and does some endurance riding
mentioned that when pressed for time, she lunges her horse, which gave me the
idea to try it.  I will also occasionally lunge mine on a hill out in the
pasture.  I will walk the horse for about 5 min in each direction (to warm
up), and then go for 10 min trotting in each direction, try to get 5 to 10
minutes of cantering in each direction, trot for 10 min or so in each
direction,  a little more cantering, alternating in equal segments between
directions, altho I will try to get a little more time in on the horse's
weaker side.
HOWEVER, THIS IS A VERY FIT HORSE.  I'm guessing that with a five year old,
it is not all that fit, so I would suggest starting with much shorter
segments, and also to try to make as wide a circle as you can while
controlling the horse.  Would also recommend you wear gloves in case the
horse decides to challenge your control (doing this in the middle of the
pasture where the hill is located invites some testing in my case!).  I also
have some carrots to reward the horse when we stop & reverse direction (it is
pretty boring for me, so can imagine it must be really tedious for the horse,
so a little carrot treat now & then helps encourage the horse!).
In the hot, humid summers here in MD I can get a good sweat worked up in an
hour of lunging on the hill.  I'll then give the horse a quick bath to cool
it off, and then let it loose in the pasture to walk & move around.
Lunging can help, but with the caveat to be careful with a young, not-so-fit
horse (because of the torque on their legs of going in circles).

Good luck,
Nancy
Md