Re: Re: Measuring Horses -- my real motive!

Oh, what a timely discussion this is!! I only know of one measuring stick in
Cairo, belonging to a vet and usually kept in a closet so it doesn't break.
He did bring it out once to measure Dorika who came in just under 15'.  But
these days I'm horsehunting with my warmblood owning friend
Babsi.....Omigod.  She groans almost every time I look at a little bit of an
Arab even though she knows what I'm looking for. Have to admit that
sometimes the look on her face is the only thing keeping me going as I look
at all these poor, impossible horses. By the time they hit 5 years, they
have too many years of rotten nutrition, overriding, terrible shoeing, and
no training. I'm beginning to despair of finding a sound, sane horse. We are
looking into one possibility though. We know a lovely old man who used to
breed and ride his own polo horses here. He's not riding anymore and his son
is wondering what to do with his horses. He has two nice mares at the club.
In this case we know the nutrition, training and shoes, so if this works out
it could be ok. Plus I could even try them out and they've both been ridden
regularly in the desert LSD for the last couple of years. Wish me luck.

The kicker is that Salah bred for substance as Heidi says. They're still
Arabs and short, but built to last. The polo ponies here are all Arab, but
have heavier bone. Really flips out visiting polo players.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg