Oleander killed my horse

Jonni jonnij@earthlink.net
Lost a horse in 1989 to one bite of Oleander. It was planted along a BRIDLE TRAIL! Horse grabbed a bite as he passed, just for the heck of grabbing a bite. (this is a real good reason not to let your horse grab bites of anything as you ride the trails) They usually do not sniff first, just grab as you pass something within reach. Anyway, at the time, I did not know how bad it was. I thought they had to eat a bunch to die. My thoughts were, "One bite won't kill him". Took 3 days. He had the most mild colic signs. Eating some, but picking at food. Gut sounds low, but there. Would stand at water and lip it. Sort of playing, but not really drinking. I had not called vet, as I forgot about bite of Olenader until days after he died. None of the signs were enough to call the vet, as he was not real sick. Just a tad "off". Well, neighbor saw him standing in the yard, and just fall over dead. (heart attack)

Will we be able to ban this plant from the world we live in? Probabally not, and not sure that is what should be done. Education to those who plant these deadly plants could help. Those plants along the freeways seem harmless enough to those of us who have our horses secure in their stables, but what about those horses that live NEXT to the freeway. Yes, cuttings are just as deadly as fresh leaves. Flowers, stems, branches,the whole plant, anytime of the year can be deadly. Could a trimming blow into a corral next to a freeway and kill a horse? Sure. Likely? Maybe, maybe not. But if I was worried about it, I would first look at what it would take to keep the blowing leaves out of my horses corral.

Oh, BTW, when I researched Oleander on-line for a newsletter article, one of the stories told of someone making "Oleander tea" to off someone. Yes, this plant is very deadly.

Jonni in So. California where Oleander is everywhere. And still along that bridle trail.

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-