BC vs. first (and arrogant oldies)

She's back....... with just another couple (yeah right!)
thoughts on this subject. It seems to me that as a newbie,
when you see the winners receive the glory and the
headlines, and then you have to "research" to find BC
winners, that something is wrong with that picture. It's
been really nice to read that there are vets/ride managers
out there that are announcing BC placings/vet scores. I
know when I did Renegade Rendevous this year (only a 25)
that the best part was coming in second for BC and tying
for high vet score. (The vet was tough too, I am sorry I
can't remember her name, maybe someone out there can
contribute that?) We all can get the competitive bug, and
this is coming for a died in the wool UNcompetitive person.
But even I get itchin' to run that last few miles in. If we
continue to put the 1st place winner in the spotlight all
the time, then quote finishing is winning, it only serves
to confuse new riders and bystanders & IMHO it will only
serve to hurt our sport in the long run. If BC really is
the highest and grandest award, then why shouldn't it be
the first thing we see in ride results? Maybe we should all
contact our ride managers, asking for only top ten BC
placings (based on first 10 riders of course) and announce
vet scores. Of course this is just a thought.....Or you
could have top ten finishers receive just a t-shirt like
everyone else and only have awards for top ten BC..... (You
guys still there? Almost done...) As a little side note, I
donated some awards to Marilyn for Klickitat Trek this year
and when she asked what award I wanted them to be, I said
BC. (I am not trying to pat myself on the back here, just
showing how we can change the perspective.)

And one last thing, on the "arrogant oldies" we have to
remember a few things, sometimes people are shy or are
slightly introverted, not arrogant. Maybe they don't know
how to start conversations with total strangers. Maybe some
of us don't look so nice to talk to. The best way to start
a conversation with a horse person is to compliment their
horse, none of us can resist that!!!! ;) Remember, everyone
can always learns something from someone else, whether your
new or old. When we have learned everything, it's time to
move on.

Heidi (and Mighte El Donte - mom, you can't pet that
computor! Come feed me!!)

=====
Heidi              /\_/\~