"Newbies"

	I would like to thank Maggie for her comments about "Newbies."  I had on
my list of things to do today was write my opinion on the subject.
	I have been wondering why so many "experienced" endurance riders (no
matter what the distance) seem to have the notion that "newbie" is some
kind of a disease or serious mental and physical disability that prevents
the sufferer from having any judgement or ability.  In fact, I have read
many intelligent inquiries from people wanting to start the sport and do it
right without injuring their horses or themselves.  The superior attitude
certainly doesn't encourage people to ask True, there are some new to the
sport who over ride thier horses out of ignorance or inexperience, but
there are also some long term riders who do the same thing -- including on
LD rides.
	I would like to see more participation in educating the new rider rather
than slamming them for their ignorance.  The PNER has a mentorship program.
 How about more people joining programs like that, hanging out their
"shingle" at rides and new riders?  I rode a few rides in the 70s and then
quit for 20+ years.    I rode an LD last year and quit for the rest of the
year because I decided that my horse wasn't up to it.  I rode 2 LDs and 3
50s this year.  Last year there weren't any mentors in my area.  I guess
that makes me a "newbie". It sure would have been nice to learn more about
vet checks, management on the trail, etc, though I had done quite a bit of
reading.  Glad there is one now.  (Thanks, Betty Edgar.)
	I came in pretty close to last on all of the rides -- I still believe that
to finish is to win.  I don't come in last because I like to.  I do it
because I think that is all that my horse has to give.  He has always come
into vet stops at criteria and sound.  I will probably replace him in
competition next year or the year after with a horse that appears to have
what it takes to be competitive.  But you had best believe that horse won't
be jeapordized either.  And I know for a fact that I am not the only new
rider who is out there being conservative and taking care of her horse.
	Thank you again, Maggie.  You sure hit one of my areas!