Re: PACE CONTROL

Hi Angie

I rode with an English Hackamore in the VERDA 30.
Meshack pulled for all of 30 miles! I had almost NO
control. I don't know how you manage Kaboot with it.

I used a running Martingale at the Hartland CTR a
week ago and he behaved the entire ride (first time)!!
We did pair with another horse which does help.
We got Reserve Champion!!

Yesterday we did the VERDA "Eatathon", a pleasure
ride where we eat and ride, eat and ride, etc. We
started about 2/3 back in the back, but in two miles
were in the lead <g>. But then he was content to say
with that group. One gal rode a quarterhorse with an
awesome trot. We had to canter to keep up. They asked
if we had ever done Endurance. I told them this was
the FIRST <g>!!

At the third food stop we switched to a slower group,
and he was content to stay with that group also, albeit
near the front!

I'm convinced that the running martingale gives me a
little more control. We can see it controlling his canter
speed in our riding lessons.

Since we started driving, he's got spring in his extended
trot, even in his jig, so it is no longer bone-jarring to ride
out his excitement.

I worry that a 50 mile endurance ride might undo the
control we are getting, but an experienced competititor
suggested that it might very well help his "maturity".

Should I change my conditioning methods....more canter
and gallop...to prepare for endurance? I think it's more
a case of getting MY antique frame in shape.

I'm considering your request to leave Meshack to you in my
will, but now Connie Walker (Pan Am Gold) wants me to leave
him to her. Would you get him a Gold Medal? Would you settle
for half? Front or back, right or left?

John and Meshack (Hey, that's my frame you're talking about!)
http://www.bypass.com/~ayers (Vermont Equestrian Activities)