Re: RC: Recent Ride

Linda Flemmer replied to what
Kelsey M wrote:

>  no rearing attempts, but his head is flying again.
> As to the question many of you have asked, about my
> handling the bit to hard. No, I'm always very careful
> about letting him have a loose rein, with light jerks
> for corrections, like cantering when we are supposed
> to be walking, etc.

If his head is "flying", then he is trying to avoid the bit.  Look
closely at your riding (or get an objective person on the ground to do
so) and see if it is the bit or your hands.  The bit may not fit him well
in width or the mouthpiece may fill his mouth (if he has a low palate).

You mention light jerks for corrections.  I'd never call communication
with a horse's sensitive mouth "jerks".  You should lightly take contact
with one rein and immediately release when he responds.  My goal is to
make the horse listen for the lightest touch - really "listen" for what I
have to say with my hands.  It takes a LOT of work.  Also, be certain
that you aren't tensing slightly on the reins when he gets "hot".  It can
be instinctive & plays into the whole pisture of a hyper horse and head
tossing.

>  we are working really hard on
> "whoa" means we stop, but stand still until I say we
> can go again!

Yeah!  That can be really hard for them to understand.  Horses who fox
hunt learn that in a hurry.  Gallop like mad after the hounds, then stand
stock still while the field reorganizes.  A little schizophrenic!  I'm
saddle training a new horse right now from scratch.  Our first thing to
learn was "Whoa!"  He's learned to plant 4 feet & stand there.  He's been
so good that he's working in just a halter for now and listening
beautifully.  I'm really proud of him.

> We haven't opened up into anything for
> than a really extended trot for the past week, because
> we are working on control.

Good!  If he is used to being hot & just going, work on even circles,
cavalettis, walking barrel patterns, leg yielding, opening gates, etc.
Make him listen to you & keep it from getting boring!

> Back to the ride, we didn't rear, but the head tossing
> is scary. I don't want another bloody face and soar
> nose!! Now we've taken to dancing and picked up the
> habit of prancing, even on a loose rein, and I know
> its loose, because he doesn't get his way. OH HOW I
> LOVE THE CROP!!

Instead of a swat with a crop, try immediately circling him.  PLan to do
a LOT of tight circles.  Let the others go down the trail a bit then wait
on you.  When he calms down and WALKS, then he gets to go towards them.
IF he jigs, he circles again.  They learn that this is NO fun really
quickly.

>  My favorite saddle that fits me like
> a glove, the McClellan, is the one that I was using
> him, just a few times when he started his rearing bit.

Original McClellan saddles are notoriously narrow.  One thing that comes
to mind with the rearing - Was the saddle hurting him???  If you aren't
sure of how to check the fit, get an experienced saddle fitter to check
for you.

Good luck!

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch