Recent Ride

Howdy All!!
Thunder and I went on a ride last night up the road,
only a 30 minute one, but enough to get some good
corrections in. He didn't give any of his all out
rearing attempts, but his head is flying again.
As to the question many of you have asked, about my
handling the bit to hard. No, I'm always very careful
about letting him have a loose rein, with light jerks
for corrections, like cantering when we are supposed
to be walking, etc. He knows what canter, trot and
walk out mean, and we are working really hard on
"whoa" means we stop, but stand still until I say we
can go again!

Geeze, the idea of a tie down is really tempting, but
too dangerous I believe. I tried it once, very very
loosly, but just that tiny restriction sent him into a
panic so it came off and we are just dealing with the
head throwing. We haven't opened up into anything for
than a really extended trot for the past week, because
we are working on control.
Today I went for an hour and a half ride with my best
friend and her mom. My best friend has a horse much
like Thunder, but almost worst. Luckily she is quite
good at hanlding her half hearted attempts at rearing,
nothing like mr. idiots idea of coming down on me, on
the GROUND! Ahhhhh! The frustration on him not minding
makes me want to scream! But emotion has no place in
training and correcting, so, "good horse"!

Back to the ride, we didn't rear, but the head tossing
is scary. I don't want another bloody face and soar
nose!! Now we've taken to dancing and picked up the
habit of prancing, even on a loose rein, and I know
its loose, because he doesn't get his way. OH HOW I
LOVE THE CROP!!  My favorite saddle that fits me like
a glove, the McClellan, is the one that I was using
him, just a few times when he started his rearing bit.
So, I put my primitive Santa Fe on him and he's done
really well with it these past two rides. Its center
rigged, while the McClellan is front rigged. And
comments on the saddle??
Thanks
 Okay, I figure this is a long enough post, so take
care all!!
Kelsey and
Thunder "Um, sorry mom, didn't realize you didn't like
the dancing and head throwing."

=====
Happy Trails all, and remember, "..to finish is to win."