Cold water/colic

The paint stud horse that died was from California, and probably was not used to
his water that cold, she now lives in Klamath Falls, they do become so dependant
on us after while don`t they? Incredibly, in my youth, all the plain ole` ranch horses NEVER , not one , ever had colic.We never took measures to prevent it or lost any of them to any health problems......same with the dogs, tuff little buggers they were, no coddling, they ate good, as did the horses, and no problems like we hear of so often now with the purebreds . I raised and trained German working lines German shepherds for several years and had a revolving acct. at the vet`s office.What do we lose somehow, with the highly bred , expensive, animals ??? Please don`t flame me for this line of thought, it doesn`t take away from the '' purest`s'' line of thinking , just a bit of speculating here... Sorry it is so long. Sherrie from Oregon