Re: RC: Old saddle that fits good on a lot of horses

.  My >friend
>suggested that when I got it that I should (with her help) switch out
>the>leather fenders with cordura nylon ones.

Yep, us Chattanoogans know that saddle well...and don't listen do her.
Those cordura fenders wad up like wet dish rags once they're good and
rain soaked.  If you want to train the leather ones fast, just dip them
in water over night, then turn them and put a broom thru them while they
dry...however, don't do this if you ever plan to move them up or down...
I do recommend that you always turn the new ones and put an ax handle
thru them when storing the saddle until they're good and trained.

I thought the 800 was the same tree as the Big Horn, do you think not?
I've borrowed that tree from them and it fit a rather average width Arab
perfectly.  Don't know why they call it "full QH bars", it tends to be
too narrow in the rear for the really broad western horses and that's
where it'll make them sore.  You can get a bargain from American, but
give it a good checking over.  Sometimes they cut corners on quality of
leather and you don't want it to be in a crucial place like the rigging.
I've known them to last a long long time though.

By the way, the guy that owns the company was very kind to my mentally
handicapped friend.  Once he knew about her fascination with turquoise he
*gave* her a pad, and donated new leathers.  Really nice guy.

Angie