Re: RC: More Slypner

> First of all, I live in Colorado where the mud, rocks
> and snow could be a factor?

Snow is not a factor.  They actually do really well in snow IMO.  Rocks
are also not relevant - the mud as I understand it should only be a
problem if the horse is turned out in it.  What happens is it works its
way into the space between the shoe & the insert over time.  I've ridden
thru all kinds of muddy stuff in mine with no problems.

> Also, my reason for considering them is
> that my mare is coming off what CSU calls a ligament strain in the left
> hind.

Don't know how the Slypner would affect the ligament recovery.  My first
thought for an application is always the concussion reduction factor.
In addition, they ease breakover, provide excellent traction under a
large variety of circumstances (the inserts can be changed to suit
conditions), and they allow more heel to be left on the shoe so they're
good for developing underrun heels or contracted heels.  The shoe is
also helpful for a horse who has a tendency to overreach, as they're
less likely to pull shoes, bruise heels, etc.

> I'm bringing her back slowly with 30 minute walks and light
> troting. I'm even planning a slow LD ride to test the waters. Sooo, If
> not Slypner's, does anyone else have input on ideas for shoeing?

You can check out www.horseshoes.com for lots of information about
shoeing and you can even post questions to the farriers there on the
farriers helping owners board.

Good luck.
-Abby B