Re: RC: Re: shoe pads

>      Plus, I was envisioning going to a ride where I've never been (easy
>      for me to do <g>) and trotting happily along over rocks only to
>      suddenly hit a big muddy stretch.

I don't know about rocks, cuz I haven't done any SE rides with rocks yet,
but it's pretty common to go from a thick bed of pine needles with some
tree roots sticking up, to a clay mud mess about 20 feet long, back to
pine needles, a nice wet grass field 1/2mile around, back to pine needles,
through 20 yards of churned-up sand (cuz I'm always at the back of the
pack and everyone else churned it up 'fore I got there), another mudbog or
two and then 2 miles of gravel, all on the first loop -- which is also the
3rd loop! <BG>

>      I guess ride meetings prepare you
>      for these things - but having never been, I wouldn't know.  (Do they,
>      by the way?  I mean, what kind of information should I expect to get
>      at the ride meeting?  What do they assume people already know?)

Depends entirely on the RM.  Some of them will go over every inch of trail
with you in the ride meeting, which you are totally incapable of following
if you've never done the trail, and if you've done it then you know that
stuff already ... and some of them will wave the map in the air and say
"it's well-marked, you shouldn't have any problems."  <BG> Million Pines
stands out as a ride that is truly well-marked, with all kinds of mile
markers and warning symbols that are both logical and easy to remember.
Mostly the first loop is a complete blur anyway, and when you do it the
2nd time 'round, you are surprised at how new and different it looks! LOL

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310
SE Region