another saddle fit question (sweat patterns)

Hello,
I've been a lurker for the past 2 years and am now just getting brave
enough to jump in and ask a question.  I looked in the archives and have
been following the other saddle fit thread but haven't found a solution to
this particular saddle fit problem.

I have a narrow chested 5 yo Morgan mare and I'm having a terrible time
finding a properly fitting saddle for her.  She's 14.0h, approx 810 lbs.
and does NOT have prominent withers.  Her back is flat and she has well
sprung, rounded ribs, (just the chest is narrow).  She was started under
saddle in May and I've just begun riding her in earnest, which is about 2-3
hours 2 days a week (mostly walking, some trotting and hill work) and about
an hour of walking and trotting one other day.  I expect her chest and back
muscles will develop with time.

I've watched a saddle fit vidoe and have checked for all the standard
things.  There are two saddles that *seem* to fit based on what I learned
from the video.  There isn't any bridging; I have a 3 finger clearance
between the pommel and her withers, two finger clearance while in the
saddle; I can see light from front to back; when I slide my hand under the
panels there seems to be even pressure; while in the saddle the points
along the front of the saddle don't pinch (I slide my hand under and feel
as she walks).  The saddle isn't too long, it doesn't rub her loins.  These
are both all purpose English saddles.

The problem:  one saddle obviously doesn't fit, Simi is reluctant to walk
up hills in this saddle so something must be pinching.  There's also an
even sweat pattern but there's a dry spot on each side of her spine.  The
dry spot is about 4 inches back from her withers, about 3 inches below her
spine, the dry spot itself is wider at the front (@ 3 inches and is wedge
shaped sort of  [> shaped --if that makes any sense).  The wedge shaped dry
spot is the same on both sides.

The other saddle has the same dry spot, same location, same shape, just
bigger.  It's about 5 inches long instead of 3.  She moves out much more
freely in this saddle and doesn't mind the hills.

Would this be symptomatic of a too narrow tree?  Too wide?  Any ideas what
would be causing these specific dry spots and how to prevent it?  I've
tried a few different pads but didn't want to over pad it.  Can you think
of any other basic saddle fit test I'm forgetting to do?

I can't afford a custom saddle right now but have no idea what to look for!
(This second saddle seems like a perfect fit when you compare it to the
video).  I've tried 6 different saddles without any luck and don't want to
spend any more money on another ill-fitting saddle.

Thanks for any advice,
Joan (who was hoping to be spared the great saddle hunt) and Simi (just
find one that fits!)