Re: RC: Arab/Andy cross

I wrote (snip):
>but I did post about the Andy/ArabX foal deal that went
>bad...
>I have such a cross in my barn right now and she is fabulous.
>Drawbacks: An easy keeper who is constantly on the lookout for food. She
>has
>a heavier frame than an Arab and I wish her legs were longer. If I was
>breeding for this type of cross, I would choose a taller Crabbet or a finer
>Egyptian, rather than the heavier Polish princess that Nikki's dam was.
>Watch out for Andy studs with long backs, also

>[Karen Sullivan wrote (snip):
>Anyway, I was not seeing conformation I really liked, or anyting
>outstanding.  Pretty disappointing.  I had totally given up on the idea,
>until I heard Dr. Deb Bennet lecture at the horse Expo in Sacto this
>spring.  She talked about ideal riding horse conformation,and mentioned
>that the Andalusian was bred to carry a rider, and just about every one she
>had seen had outstanding loins, and ideal conformation for a riding
>animal.......so there.  And I had been thinking that a lot of Andalusians I
>had seen were too long backed and high-crouped.  I guess it just shows what
>i know!
>
>Karen Sullivan (no more horses, anyway)

Karen, your instincts probably aren't that far off. There are a lot of
Andies in this country that shouldn't be breeding (examples: too small, too
long-backed, no neck). It is the promise of big money attached to the breed
that makes people breed inferior Andalusian stock.

In the case of the Andy/Arab foal deal that was reneged on, he was attacked
(literally pulled down) by the woman's Rottie at the age of 4 months and
mauled pretty severely in the hind tendons. From what the woman told a
mutual acquaintance of ours, there was a slim chance he would ever be sound.
Apparently, he healed "miraculously" because he went up for sale at 18
months for $5000! Buyer beware: get a vet check and X-rays on that one...

Bonnie in AZ