Arab/Andy cross

[Karen Sullivan]  Bonnie writes:
but I did post about the Andy/ArabX foal deal that went
bad...
I have such a cross in my barn right now and she is fabulous.
Drawbacks: An easy keeper who is constantly on the lookout for food. She has
a heavier frame than an Arab and I wish her legs were longer. If I was
breeding for this type of cross, I would choose a taller Crabbet or a finer
Egyptian, rather than the heavier Polish princess that Nikki's dam was.
Watch out for Andy studs with long backs, also
[Karen Sullivan]

Thought I would respond to this, because I spent some amount of time chasing down and looking at these crosses. Reason: daughter was a die-hard Andalusian fan and I could not only not afford one, but thought the Arab cross would be a better trail/endurance horse.  It was interesting......

First one we found was a 3 year old, priced at $3500.  About 14.2 hands, green broke.  Probably a "good deal".  But, she was built very round and pony-like, and just didn't seem like the had the build for a distance horse.  Anyway, waited too long, etc.

Next was another mare, age 7, very green, for $4500. Again, she had this pony-like build, along with a somewhat dippy;long back.  Again, probably a good deal for this cross, but had I seen the horse standing in a field, with no knowledge of what it was, it was not  horse that would have caught my attention based on the conformation.Both rather short-legged and pony-like.

Ran into a gelding, previously priced at $12,000, dropped to $5800; about 5, dressage training.

Anyway, I was not seeing conformation I really liked, or anyting outstanding.  Pretty disappointing.  I had totally given up on the idea, until I heard Dr. Deb Bennet lecture at the horse Expo in Sacto this spring.  She talked about ideal riding horse conformation,and mentioned that the Andalusian was bred to carry a rider, and just about every one she had seen had outstanding loins, and ideal conformation for a riding animal.......so there.  And I had been thinking that a lot of Andalusians I had seen were too long backed and high-crouped.  I guess it just shows what i know!

Karen Sullivan (no more horses, anyway)

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-