Liberty Run: Rider comments

Betty Baker BettySteve@MSN.com
I would like to comment on the Liberty Run 100, since I was one of the
"three riders" I believe I have some standing in this conversation.
First I would like to say, I don't know where it is written that any rider
MUST stand for Best Condition. I can not speak for Valerie, but Rita and
Cass did stand. Myself, I did not stand Corkey because he had developed a
slightly sore back in the last 20 miles due to padding problems ( my fault
and this is being corrected). Also, I felt that Corkey had done the job he
came to do. I didn't feel he needed to do any more, or prove any thing
further to ANYONE else that night. He had done a terrific job and we were
calling it a night. I felt this was the best decision for him at the time,
and that is my job, to make the best decisions I can for my horse at the
time.
Secondly, I don't know what the 2 endurance no-no's were that we are guilty
of, but I will say this: These three horses were together for 90% of the
day.  The all worked well together all day. They eat well, drank at ALL the
water stops, including 85 miles (water barrels), 87 miles (creek crossing),
90 miles (camp), and 97 miles (creek crossing). When we stopped at water
spots, we waited for all the horses to finish drinking before moving on,
even at 97 miles!!
Thirdly, I should state that all these horses were well conditioned and
ready for this 100 mile ride. Rita and Cass have represented the East at the
Pan AM's and this was Corkey's 2nd year doing 100 milers. Corkey is also
just back from doing the Pan Am ride, and Valerie's horse "Hotty" is from
Idaho and has 3 years of endurance riding to his credit, albeit on the West
Coast, before he came to Valerie's barn. This horse was not a new comer.
Finally, lets recognize the fact that endurance riding is different things
to different people. You can ride  to finish, you can bring along a young
horse, you can better your last ride time, or you can attempt a first to
finish. What ever your goal or level of interest, endurance riding has it to
offer. Yes, I believe all three of these horse have international plans.
With nominations opening in two months and with the limited number of 100
mile rides on the east coast, riders must choose their rides carefully and
purposefully. THANK YOU WENDY. I was glad to see some voice of reality
injected into the discussion.  We all want to see the U.S. Endurance Team
select the most talented horse and riders to take to the championship rides.
Would we want the selectors to simply pull horse and rider names out of a
hat, of course not.  As riders, we must show the selectors what are horses
can do.  They can only base their decisions on what they have done, not on
what we THINK they can do. We must show our horses potential AT RIDES!
Lets all remember that we are a small sport community compared with others,
we must be supportive, positive and form bonds that will enable our horses and
riders to go far and wide.  Lets consider that there are many shoes to walk
in before offering criticism on one another.
Thanks to Vicki Parker for a great ride, a wonderful trail and keeping her
cool considering so many entries.  We hope to be back next year. We most
likely will start our 7 year old on his first 100 here, slowly.
See you all on the trails,
Betty & Corkey

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-