Liberty Run II Part II

  The saga continues...

Too quickly we are back in camp.  Goat again drops quickly, and the vet line
is much more manageable, Dwight Hooten was vetting two horses at the same
time!  Pretty impressive.  I actually ate something; afraid if I didn't it
wouldn't be much fun to ride behind me since I have a tendency to call
"Ralph", as does Duane.  A chicken Salad sandwich (made by me great crew!)
and a Goody powder and I was ready to go!
  50 miles have been completed at this point.  Lynn Gilbert, Karen Clark and
I head out together.  The horses are pacing really well together, and someone
has to run interference for Karen since Jeb doesn't like many horses/people.
He tolerates Goat, basically cause everyone bosses Goat around, and he did
share his food with him.  The tubs are still all over the place, water level
a little lower, but plenty for us.  We come in and Karen and I vet through
quickly.  Goat gets all A's except guts and mucous membranes.  Lynn has to
come back again.  And unfortunately doesn't pass.  She was pretty cool with
it, her mom had just shown up and she said she would be able to visit with
her.  Karen, Nicki Young (her riding partner Megan Davis also got pulled that
vet check) and I left out together.  The horses got a little draggy on this
loop, that is till we made the "invisible" turn for home.  And then it was
all we could do to hold them back to a sedate canter. We arrive back to camp.
 This is now mile 80, while waiting to vet through Duane again brings a
sponge and bucket to the vet line to clean the sand off of them.  Goat jumps
sideways away from the sponge.  People were sitting nearby waiting for the 50
and 25-mile awards.  I just shook my head and said that I had gotten that
spooking stuff out of me 40 miles ago.  Took him to the vet, he went 56/56 on
his CRI and got all A's!  I on the other hand looked like death eating a moon
pie!  (A southern expression).  So no more Vet checks till we finish.  The 3
front runners are about 40 minutes ahead of us, fine with us.  It has just
started getting dark, and since this was Nicki Young's first 100, she had
borrowed glow sticks to put on her horses breast collar.  Just as we turn off
the road heading down the lake loop, I see a glow stick laying on the ground
and point it out to Nicki, she goes, "darn I didn't have to borrow one
anyway, since people drop theirs, I can just pick that one up".  We go around
a turn or two and there is another one, oops that is how they are marking the
trail, since it is a road they are putting them in the middle of this dirt
road to tell you the best way.  Nicki said I should have known better since I
had done 100's before, she said she could have gotten in big trouble for
stealing tail markings.   Of course Goat was absolutely petrified of these
glowing things lying in the road.  I tried to explain that they were exactly
like the ones around his neck but he was having no part of that.  Finally
thought I had him cured and he would jump away again.  We decided we were
going to stop and water and get them a bite halfway through again.  As we
came to the finish line, we passed a ton of people with lights, they were all
walking to the finish line!  Vickie stopped awards and told them she wanted
to see the race off.  When we finished the 10-mile loop, and stopped in camp,
Duane told us that the front runners just galloped through and didn't stop.
We could hear them finishing.  So off we went.  As soon as we hit the dirt
road, I yelled back at Nicki and Karen that we needed to move while we could,
so we didn't lose any more time.  And harm our chances at Best condition.  So
off at a canter we go, Goat and Jezabelle stay together, Karen decided to
drop back.  As we are cantering along this pretty lake, a large fish decided
to jump, Goat jumped straight up in the air!  Never stopped cantering, but
jumped straight up.  Guys you aren't the only one that hurts!  I decided to
keep Nicki entertained as we moved out since I wanted her to do more 100's.
I told her blonde jokes (she isn't one, real or imagined) and did a Steve
Martin routine.  How is that for dating yourself?  She decided she likes
100's and might just try another one.  Get this, not for my startling
company, not for the ultimate challenge of horse and rider, not for the
points, she wants to do more hundreds cause she likes the glow sticks!  And
this is a very intelligent woman, a veterinarian mind you!  I didn't tell her
that she could get glow sticks and ride at home.
  Since she let me win at Big South Fork, as we came to the finish line I
told her to either go around me and finish in front of me or get beside me.
She opted for beside me and we tied for 4th.  Duane met us at the finish line
and advised us both to stand.  Saying only one of the first three was able to
stand for BC.  We were to have a 15-min. CRI.  Goat went 56/52 and was as
sound as can be.  I don't know who was prouder, Duane or I!  Took Pig, er
Goat back and let him eat for 45 min. till time for his BC check.  He still
looked good, maybe a little something on one circle.  So I thought we had a
chance, but you never know, an hour is a lot to make up.
  I was a little wired, it was only  9:16 when we finished, and Goat had
finished his first 100 in 10:56 min.  And looked great, in my opinion!
Dwight Hooten said something about finding me a horse to ride since I was so
full of energy.  Absolutely not, I was walking around so much because I would
tie up if I sat down.  Nina Murphy generously offered me the use of her
shower, probably because I stunk so badly; the entire camp could smell me.  I
finally took a Benadryl to facilitate sleep and conked out.  I heard James
Agnew, Gini Wilson and a girl from Brazil finishing around 5 am.  Now that is
endurance!
  They told us awards would be at 7 am.  I was really not ready to roll out
of bed, Duane said to sleep in, but I think not!  Top Ten got these really
nice vet card pouches made by Teddy at Running Bear.  And then she started on
BC.  4 stood, I guess because the next finishers behind Nicki Karen and I
were around 4 hours back.  And Vickie meanly counted down from 4th.  When she
announced that Rita Swift and Cass were 4th, I was thrilled, that meant Goat,
Jeb or Jezabelle had won!  It got down to Nicki and I.  Vickie waited an hour
(or so it seemed) and then called Nicki's name out.  Yes!  Goat won!  Best
Condition on his first 100.  Vickie said she had a little rump rug with
embroidery on it for Best Condition.  Being as Goat has nothing that is
little, luckily she was exaggerating.  It was beautiful!  Duane was like a
proud daddy, reaching out for the BC form to see just how well he had done.
  We finally get camp down and ready to get on the road.  This time Goat
loads like a trooper (of course, he is headed home to his woman) and off we
go.  Next stop:  Hahira Ga and River Run, not to ride, but to work.  The more
things change the more they stay the same!  We plan to ride both at JD's in
November.
  Now, who was it that wanted ride stories?  Sorry aren't you!

Nina and Goat.