Re: Reaction to Vaccine

> On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, J Capaldi wrote...
> >I have been debating for a couple of days on posting this message but it
> >is so strange, I figured one of you can shed some light.  Living in the
> >South, we vaccinate (4 way) twice a year and rabies once per year and
> >influenza quarterly. Two geldings are on the same schedule, the other we
> >aquired later and is different.  Well, the two had their annual last
> >Thursday.  Didn't touch them until Monday.  Went to groom for possible
> >ride and both hind legs on both geldings were swollen, really stocked
> >up, from the pastern through the fetlock and into the tendons .  Hocks
> >were clean.  The horse who hadn't been vaccinated was fine.
> >
> >Figured it was either shots or some toxic plant, acorns, grass fungus,
> >etc.called the vet and pulled them off pasture on to dry lot.  Vet said
> >to Bute, hose and he would investigate.  One of my friends had the same
> >thing happen to a mare a few years ago and it had something to do with
> >the vaccine.
> >
> >One gelding was really sore, everywhere, especially over the loins and
> >croup.  Temp, P & R's were normal.  Bute improved him.  Today, they are
> >better, but there is still some edema in the legs.  Vaccine was not Fort
> >Dodge,  maybe Bayer??

The same thing happened to my arab gelding about three weeks ago.   I gave
him the Fort Dodge Double-E FT+EHV.  The next day he was extremely stiff and
sore through the hips and hind legs.  No swelling, though.  This lasted for
about three days.  He then seemed OK so I turned him out to play in the
arena with the colts.  He ran around for a little and then started getting
really stiff again with lots of heat and sweat throughout his hips and
flanks.  He has progessively gotten better each day since then and seems
normal now.

Linda Hedgpeth
Greenfield, CA
lth@thegrid.net