Buying a horse/WARNING

I recently called one of the ads in ridecamp and was one of the first people
to reach the owner.  I asked about the horse, TY is his name and he sounded
like what I was looking for. The next step of course was to have him vetted
which took another 5-6 days to organize due to the fact that she lives out in
Darby, Montana. The vet had to travel 90 miles to get there.  The horse
vetted out and, not perfect but issues I could live with.  So I told the
owner Jill Matyac that I wanted the horse and would send a check ASAP.( In
the meantime I had a few other prospects that I had been in the process of
condsidering and told those owners that I had already found a horse.)She had
mentioned that there were others that had called and were also interested. I
reiterated that I wanted the horse and that once she received the check and
coggins to let me know.  In the meantime I was looking for a shipper to pick
up the horse.  Jill offered to haul the horse for me @ 1.00 a mile. Two days
later I received a call from Jill that she changed her mind. Instead of being
honest and telling me that someone offered her more money she choose to lie
instead and just blow me off.  The vet called me and told me that someone
else had called him about the vetting I had ordered.  He gave them the
information! He said he thought that Jill and I had a deal and that he did
not think it would matter.  When I told him that Jill was selling the horse
to someone else for more money and how upset I was he admitted that he had
made a mistake in giving out the information on the horse and how sorry he
was.  So, is this how horse people are in the endurance world?Buying a horse
is a time consuming ordeal and when you finally found a horse that you want,
think you have a deal only to have the rug pulled out from under you because
some  other person offers more money knowing that a deal had been made is so
out of line.  I have never had an experience such as this and I have bought
many horses over the years!  It seems that Jill and her boyfriend will gather
buyers and make a deal then simply sell to anyone with the higher bid. How
unethical are people willing to be?Apparently these two people will stop at
nothing for a few more bucks! BE FORWARNED!