RC: Safety from man

Every time I leave the barn, I have my cell phone with me in a padded hip
bag. I keep it on the top so a) I can get to it quickly; and b) hopefully
it won't get totally smashed in a wreck. Even though I ride in the
mountains too and depending on where I am there may or may not be a
signal, most of the time I can relatively quickly get to a place where
there is a signal. I also am in the process of getting a concealed  weapon
permit because I almost always ride alone. (One of the nicer areas for me
to ride in unfortunately is a couple miles from a detention facility. Ick.)

Situation awareness is key, and I can't afford DIMR or any other form of
mental retardation, for that matter, on solo rides.

And even though I haven't had a horse emergency, my cell phone has gotten
firefighters on a forest fire and paramedics to an accident. FWIW, at the
latter, the paramedic informed me that even a cell phone that doesn't have
an active account can be used to dial 911 in case of an emergency. All you
need is a functioning cell phone; i.e., a phone that is capable of
locating a tower signal. So no matter what, if you are in an area where
there is a signal, the phone will transmit a 911 call (the ultimate budget
plan).

Sorry if this thread is done; I get the digest form and am just now
getting around to posting!

Paula C Gentry, PhD
pgentry@U.Arizona.EDU

It is not knowing a lot but grasping things intimately and savoring them
which fills and satisfies the soul.

--St. Ignatius--