Killer Bees

Kerry Dykes kdykes@hotmail.com
Being in Tucson, with a killer bee population that's live and well, we try to follow the recommendations --- run....

From what we are told, normal bees commit about 30% of their numbers to hive protection while killer bees commit something like 65% (give or take a sting or two).   They have a protection zone and once you are in it will not stop their attach until you leave it -- you don't know where the boundaries are but they do and will stop as soon as you get out of their space.  Unfortunately, it seems that space can be anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 mile (in a straight line).  The "experts" say the following:

1.  Do not run in a zig zag fashion, go for a straight line to put the most distance possible between you and the bees zone in the quickest amount of time.  (Not possible in some cases of heavy underbrush, I know).

2.  Do not jump in the water to get away from them.  They literally wait on the surface and get you when you come up for air.  There are documented incidents of deaths resulting from this approach.

The good news is that the venom is no more poisonous than any other bees, the bad news is, it doesn't matter if you've been stung a hundred times.....

Now, I'm off for my ride in my beekeepers suit......

Kerry

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-