How many horses is too many?

I've been thinking about buying a second riding horse, but I wonder if it's realistic to try and condition 2 horses?  Plus I have a yearling that will need a bit more work next year.  On the other hand, I won't ride him until he's at least 3 and won't ride him in CTR for at least 3 more years.  He also has popping stifles (upward fixation of the patella), and I am not sure he will realistically ever be a good LD horse.

I have 3 hours 7 days a week to horse around (of course, more than 3 hours on most weekends).  I work normal hours, no kids.  So how many horses is too many?  I'd hate to have to post a for sale ad next year because I overbooked myself, but I'd hate to end up not riding because my only riding horse was injured (or something to that effect).  I *know* my horse would benefit from having a couple months of turnout to grow out the holes in his hooves before next season.

Advise appreciated - especially if you are juggling two horses.

Thanks -