Re: Heaves and Feeding

COPD horses-- Read the great article in EQUUS this month.. ALLon the
mark.

As a 'dad' for my wifes copd horse we know whats its about..

It can be managed. RAZ is 11 yrs was 'ok' when we got him them putting
him to work and a the new environment.. he developed respiritory
problems..that after 6 months was correctly diagnosed as COPD.

The staff at UT  as in BIG ORANGE #1-- scored really BIG with us on this
guy.

You have to manage it very agressivley  like use Ventiplumin.. nothing
works as well - it costs but knocked the inflamation down in a week.
AFTER he had been on the 'normal' drugs.. for weeks-

We had the allergy test done like $500-- and he is went on a series of
allegy shots that now are every 21 days..and cost about $200 every 4
months for a refill.. worth it. ask Carol -he is going great..
 We feed no special feed since we have him on the allergy shots.

Cant fix the symptoms -without fixing the cause..
And they cant compete on the drugs..

I also have him on ABC PLUS and ABC Super antioxident and a good dose of
the herb mix called HERBAL-MUNE from Uckele.

AND did you read the article by ti-- in trailblazer.. WHAT TOM actually
buying into that bunk about HERBS?? hehehe..echinacea  sure it
works..been growing my own for a year..and make my own tintures.
stuff REALLY helps with the immune system  along with garlic and no
matter what the poobahs say - VIT-C.

I also use homeopathic stuff when he is stressed. like going to a ride
and after the ride.

Have not had flu -me or the horses in years..and WE dont do shots..

SO the COPD horse if corrected before significant windpipe damage- from
the hacking-- occurs can be put to work..

ON topic?
Roger R