Heaves and Feeding

A profoundly heavy horse cannot tolerate any hay without aggravating its
condition, but horses can't live on grain either.  Special diets, such as
Agway's Respond are formulated to be a complete feed for the heavy horse.
Some heavy horses can eat hay if it is immersed in water for a period of
hours.  A plastic garbage can works well for this.  We have found some
benefit in feeding the healing herb, comfrey.  One pony even sought the live
plants out and was helped considerably.  Quentin Llop DVM (Not currently
being investigated by any forum, I hope.)