Re: Prayers for "Delaware"

Hi Michelle,

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with Delaware.  I agree with your vet,
let him do what he wants.  My suggestion would be to definitely allow him
all the hay he wants, do NOT restrict his hay intake---you'll be potentially
causing much more serious problems than just some weight loss.

You might also consider adding some probios---undoubtedly, the stress,
antibiotics and possibly the steroids have all affected the microbial
population in his gut.  My personal preference is for Fastrack, but there
are other good brands available as well.  If he's not eating grain or mash,
just wet down his hay and sprinkle it on that.  If he has heaves, then wet
hay is going to be better for him anyway.  You might also consider starting
him on some soaked beet pulp---great stuff for older horses with heaves.

For the time being, I wouldn't worry *too* much about him not eating his
grain.  Give him awhile to get over the medications and stress and then
he'll probably go back to eating his normal ration.  Just keep offering it
to him in small amounts.  In the meantime, bury him in hay.  If you normally
add oil to his diet, you might also try sprinkling a little oil directly on
the hay as well.  It sounds kind of funny, but it works, you just have to
spread it thinly so it doesn't drip through.  I get REALLY messy, I pour the
oil into my hands then rub my hands all through the hay.

Good luck and don't worry too much.  Delaware will be just fine.

Susan Garlinghouse